Home Secretary (and also former Education Secretary) David Blunkett tried to promote himself on TV by participating in an edition of the Celebrity Mastermind quiz show. Unfortunately for him, he managed to come in last place, with one of the lowest general knowledge scores in the history of the programme.
This edition of Celebrity Mastermind is due to be broadcast on Boxing Day, December 26th 2003, at 8.25pm on BBC2.
This might be some small comfort to those of us who oppose his ID Card plans, who he called "intellectual pygmies"
According the the Daily Mirror, here are the General Knowledge questions which Blunkett failed on:
1) Which town in Ireland has been noted for its crystal glassware since the 18th century?
2) Which meteorological phenomenon is known as a twister in the mid-west states of America?
3) Nineteen year old Alex Parks was the winner of which televised talent competition in 2003?
4) What was the nickname of the 12th Century Holy Roman Emperor Frederick I because of his red beard?
5) On which Mediterranean island is the ruin of the ancient city of Syracuse where St Paul stayed on his journey to Rome?
6) Members of a North Yorkshire branch of which organisation posed nude for a charity calendar in 1999?
7) Later better known for his work with young people, who became a national hero in 1900 for his 217-day defence of Mafeking during the Boer war?
8) Which gas first recognised by Antoine Lavoisier did he name azote because of its inability to support life?
9) Bos grunniens is the Latin name for the Tibetan Ox. What is the more common name?
10) In 1980 and 1984 which athlete became the only man to have won an Olympic gold medal for the 1,500 metres at consecutive games?
11) In Greek mythology, who gave Theseus the thread that enabled him to escape from the labyrinth after he slew the minotaur?
12) The won is the unit of currency in which two adjacent Asian countries?
13) Which headstrong southern belle is the heroine of the novel and film Gone with the Wind?
1) WATERFORD Blunkett: PASS
2) TORNADO Blunkett: HURRICANE
3) FAME ACADEMY Blunkett: PASS
4) BARBAROSSA Blunkett: RED BEARD
5) SICILY Blunkett: SICILY
6) WOMEN'S INSTITUTE. Blunkett: Wonderful ladies who did the film Bottoms Up (given as correct).
7) BADEN-POWELL Blunkett: PASS
8) NITROGEN Blunkett: PASS
9) YAK Blunkett: PASS
10) SEBASTIAN COE Blunkett: PASS
11) ARIADNE Blunkett: PASS
12) NORTH AND SOUTH KOREA Blunkett: THAILAND
13) SCARLETT O'HARA Blunkett: PASS