Here are some blurred memories of the sort of things we chatted about this month. This is not a substitute for coming along to the meetings in person: - remember that everyone is welcome, no matter your gender, age or experience or skills (or lack of them), from both sides of the legal fence.
- Code Warrior / Worrier tried out his pickup line techniques on the way from the Trocadero and nearly persuaded 3 women to come along to the pub (claims not to have been slapped yet).
- "EMF camp" ("Electro Magnetic Field" ?) is promised to have an internet domain name (N.B. none of the short EMF domain names are free) and discussion list etc. by next month. As yet unconfirmed plans for a Dutch / German style hacker camp / Temporary Autonomous Zone next August Bank Holiday i.e. 27th August 2012, partly as a relief from the oppressive London Olympics hype and security clampdown. Anybody interested in helping to organise this can contact email@example.com for now.
- We raised our glasses and toasted the memory of the late Steve Jobs, even though none of us are fanatical Apple fanbois.
- Tesco are selling an "anonymous" unlocked "burner" Samsung GT-E1080i mobile phone for just under £10. Which of the choice of seven free SIM cards / networks (Lycamobile, Lebara, Vodafone, Orange, O2, T-Mobile and Virgin.) is best for
a) anonymity of retained Communications Data
- London Hackspace "Hack the Flag" contest next Saturday 15th October 2011
- What is at risk / could be targeted if the UK sympathisers of the Occupy Wall Street demonstrators do ever manage to
a) Occupy the Stock Exchange or other financial centres in the City of London
b) Are used as a diversion by insider fraudsters and spies in neighbouring buildings
Rumours that this could happen on Saturday 15th October or Wednesday 19th
- Rather than nicking or vandalising computers in such an occupied building, a more subtle approach might be to plant something like this Edimax WiFi router (masquerading as a BTFON VoiP gateway) which is being powered using a mobile phone "emergency charger" battery pack via micro USB cable
"The Street finds its own uses for things - uses the manufacturers never imagined." - William Gibson
- Meeting the Earl of Errol - if only more members of Parliament had half as much a clue about IT technology as this hereditary Peer.
- London 2600 Christmas Party - to coincide with the December meeting - Friday 2nd December 2011, upper room at the Nell of Old Drury pub, opposite the Royal Theatre Drury Lane
October seems to be time when the zombies come out to play::
Who was that masked man ?
Camera Red Eye
"Oooh!!! Careful where you wiggle that glo stick!"