I'm sure you've all heard about SamKnows.com before
now. They are gathering applications for this years survey.
Here's the link to register your interest
The survey involved samknows posting you a hacked router. I think
they were the developer version of the WRT54G. Which you use as your
own for the duration of the survey.
N.B. the requirements:
What are the requirements for volunteers?
The requirements we ask our volunteers to meet are as follows:
1. You currently use a router to connect to the Internet (not a USB modem).
2. You have a stable broadband connection (i.e. it doesn't disconnect frequently). Note that this is just referring to the connection - not the speed.
3. You are not a heavy downloader. We'd classify anything above 30GB per month as being too heavy for us to gather useful results.
4. You have a spare power socket near your existing router (or wherever you plan to connect the unit. Keep in mind that a network cable must run between the unit and your router though! We supply a 1m cable).
5. You need to be on one of the ISPs that we're targeting.
6. You are not an employee or a family member of an employee of one of the ISPs being monitored.
NOTE: Our units download approximately 2GB per month and upload around 2GB. If you're on a product with a low cap then we'd advise against signing up, or at least informing us beforehand so that we can apply a different testing profile.
In addition to the above we ask that volunteers agree to a set of terms and conditions that are broadly summarised by the points below:
1. Not to unplug the unit or your ISP's router unless I'm away for an extended period of time.
2. Not attempt to reverse engineer or alter the unit.
3. To notify Samknows if and when I choose to change ISPs.
4. To return the unit to Samknows should you I longer wish to be involved (Samknows to pay reasonable postage costs).
5. To connect the unit in the way described in the documentation.
6. To keep Samknows updated with valid contact details (i.e. email and postal address).
Mailing List Administrator